Stats NZ has released its Regional gross domestic product: Year ended March 2022 report, which provides a geographical breakdown of economic activity within New Zealand. New Zealand’s value-added output:
- 78% within the North Island
- 22% within the South Island
Auckland region contributing close to 38% of New Zealand’s annual GDP with Wellington coming in second at 12.5%
- Highest GDP per capita is the Wellington region $82,772 per capita, followed by the Auckland region $80,328 per capita.
- Lowest GDP per capita was the Northland region, at $46,611
- The Taranaki region recorded the highest nominal GDP per capita growth over the year (+14.3 percent), followed by the Auckland region (+11.4 percent).
A good exercise with your class is to get them to match the figures with the area of New Zealand. Figures below are in $m
Sign up to elearneconomics for comprehensive key notes with coloured illustrations, flash cards, written answers and multiple-choice tests on GDP that provides for users with different learning styles working at their own pace (anywhere at any time).