Tour of the US income distribution – “The L Curve”
Here is a great animated graphic that I got from a comment on the posting entitled “Distribution of Income – USA”.
The red line represents a graph of family income across the population. The height of the curve at any point is the height of a stack of $100 bills equalling that income.
- The family at the 50th percentile, the 50-yard line of the football field, has an income of $40,000 (A stack of $100 bills 4cm tall)
– The family on the 95 yard line earns about $100,000 per year, a stack of $100 bills about 10cm high.
– At the 99 yard line the income is about $300,000, a stack of $100 bills about 30cm high.
– The curve reaches $1 million (a 101cm high stack of $100 bills) one foot from the goal line.
– From there it keeps going up and at 50 kilometers, the pile of $100 bills extends beyond the stratosphere, more than 5 times the height of Mt. Everest.
Here is the link – just keep clicking Zoom Out on the site The L-Curve